Bed bugs have always been a looming problem in both residential and industrial areas. While both business owners and homeowners have been shown bed bug removal methods they can do by themselves, doing the wrong thing could lead to mishaps.
DIY isn’t entirely wrong, but it should be well-informed and done right so as to avoid hazardous issues. But just to be on the safe side and avoid further mishaps, the best option for treating bed bugs is to contact a professional that can do bed bug heat treatments in Sacramento, CA.
Here is a rundown of some bed bug DIY mistakes that should never be done at home.
USING THE WRONG PESTICIDES
Of course, pesticides are highly toxic and hazardous. Even the ones that are registered by the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) have been linked to multiple health problems such as acute poisoning, certain types of cancer, hormone disruption, asthma, neurotoxicity, organ damage, and more. The use of these pesticides are more dangerous than their benefits.
That’s why it’s important to check with a professional exterminator. After assessing the infestation, they will come up with a proper treatment plan to deal with the bed bugs in your area. They also have the right tools and equipment to carry out these treatments.
NOT BUYING A VAPOR STEAM CLEANER
Nowadays in the cleaning industry, steam cleaners are one of the fastest growing technologies. We’d even go as far as saying that these are a heaven-sent item for anyone that’s wary about bedbugs. Vapor steam cleaners look similar to a vacuum, but they are much more powerful. Steam cleaners use water and electricity to clean, disinfect, and deodorize any surface. These are safe for use in homes since they don’t need any kind of chemicals.
Vapor steam cleaners are great for maintaining a bed bug-free environment because they generate a tremendous amount of heat, eliminating pests from clothes, furniture, and beddings. The steam vapor can also reach nooks and crannies, just where bed bugs like to hide most. If you’re trying to steer clear of bed bugs, vapor steam cleaners are worth an investment.
NOT USING A BED BUG MONITOR
Bed bug monitors/interceptors have been one of the most useful devices ever invented for bed bug monitoring and management. These devices are usually shaped like a plastic dish with an outer shallow part designed to catch and contain bed bugs. They function on the assumption that bed bugs do not have the ability to climb slippery, vertical surfaces. So with these things, you can breathe easy for a bit knowing bed bugs won’t reach your pillows.
Other uses for a bed bug monitor and interceptor include the following:
● Keeps bed occupants from bed bugs
● Sees and counts bed bugs present
● Assess the effectiveness of certain bed bug treatments
● Serves as an early detection system for bed bugs in hotels, apartments, houses
● Used as part of a DIY bed bug management practice
NOT PREPPING THE ROOMS PRIOR TO TREATMENT
Most, if not all, pest control companies will require homeowners to do significant preparations prior to the start of a treatment. These requirements may differ based on the type of treatment as well as the type of residence. Unfortunately, some clients don’t think this is necessary, leading to a myriad of problems that pest control companies are all too familiar with.
The actions they require Below is a sample checklist for clients to complete before their bed bug service begins.
Below is a list of the preparations homeowners should take note of before having exterminators begin their treatment:
● Lift mattresses and box springs out of the bed frame
● Empty all closets, dressers, drawers
● Wash and dry all clothing within the room on high heat
● Bag all personal items that cannot be laundered
● Empty all luggage and travel bags into untied bags
● Remove all sofa, chair, and other upholstered furniture cushions and accessories
● Remove all sheets, blankets, pillowcases, and other bed coverings from the mattress and box spring and dry for at least 50 minutes on high heat
● Thoroughly vacuum your mattress, box spring, inside of dresser drawers, all carpeting throughout your entire home, floors, area rugs, sofas, futons, recliners, upholstered furniture, and physical bugs you may see
● Remove and dry all curtains and window dressings on high heat
● Inspect items that cannot be washed such as books, electronics, picture frames, and plastic toys
● Place them into plastic bags only if you do not find bed bugs on these items
● Reduce clutter under your bed and around the room
● Encase your mattress using specialized mattress encasements
Unless homeowners do these themselves, technicians will leave the room just as it is. This results in a lot of mishandling in materials that could spread bed bugs throughout your home, or even destroy your beddings and belongings. Neglecting proper preparation could prolong the whole treatment process.
BED BUGS ARE TOUGH, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE EVEN TOUGHER
Dealing with bed bugs takes so much time and energy, but that’s why there are pest control companies that can help. These companies have exterminators that are properly trained and equipped with the right tools for carrying out bed bug heat treatments in Sacramento, CA. DIY methods may be cheaper, but these may not be as effective and some mistakes can even cost you more money instead.