When I was a young kid I always heard it was dangerous to take a shower during a storm. I always thought it was a joke. How could someone get electrocuted taking a shower? As I got older I realized it’s true. We have several pipes running to our homes under ground and we have live wires attached to our homes. Here is what happened when Myth Busters tested the myth:
Explanation: Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to … shower in? The National Weather Service urges the public to avoid hopping in the shower during a lightning storm in the event that a bolt strikes one of your home’s water pipes and electrifies your bathroom.
MythBusters Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage took that weather alert to task and constructed a makeshift house, complete with grounded plumbing. Then, they doused it with simulated lightning in an electricity testing facility to find out whether the voltage really could leap from the sky to the shower.
Since the MythBusters were shy about showering on camera, they hired a stand-in: a ballistics gel dummy that had roughly the same electrical conductivity as the human body. To screen for a fatal lightning strike, the dummy wore a heart monitor. The 700,000 volts of fake lightning indeed arced onto the water pipes and jumped to the shower, causing a fire.
LIGHTNING SAFETY TIPS